Hockgian Lessons
The Husband was just reading my posts and he pointed out a flaw in my hokkien:
chao yi lang should be written as chao HI lang.
I am Hokkien by birth. Mama is Cantonese and the only Hokkien she knows are Hokkien vulgarites (i know cuz everytime Baba uses those KKNCCBLJCB she knows!). Me and Fat Ge Ge knows Hokkien too, like my mother, our vocabulary is limited to the colorful part of the Hokkien language.
Over the years, I have improved on my Hokkien. I'm so good now that I can understand perfectly well if I'm with my chao ah beng friends and they all lapse into their favorite language. The hardest part of Hokkien is that it sounds like A, but it actually means B.
Some discoveries I've made:
1) lao gao means monkey NOT old bull dog
2) chew ji means ring NOT banana tree
3) teh kong means teapot NOT underwear
4) bei kee means aeroplane NOT cannot stand
5) zui kueh means frog NOT yummy chee kueh
6) bak zai means eye shit NOT shitting
7) poon so means rubbish NOT turn hand
8) ba tor means belly NOT dating
9) umm koon means neck NOT bamboo stick10)or kau means bank account not wah kau!
When I was still working in a Bank, one day a hokkien speaking lady ask me:
auntie: Ah nia, ki tor lok pang si eh?
lotti's interpretation: so rude! scold me ah nia.
lotti to collegue: Err this auntie here want to report death for her joint account.
Another lady:
auntie: ah mui, wo ai pang dia ki
lotti: huh? you want to take what upstairs?
*beams*
Now I can converse with King of Beng Husband in Hokkien
lotti: bui eh! mai hua ah ni kin!
:)
BTW ah lau, its not "chao hi lang" hi=hai leh.
so its "chao hai lang"
bo tio lah!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home